Thursday, September 10, 2009

Discolapse

Objective: Technique

Warm-up: 1) row 500m

2) mobility drills

3) barbell complex, 6 reps of
bend overs (exactly what it sounds like)
bend over muscle snatch w/ clean grip
military press
good morning
oly style back squat

Training: 1) hang power clean, doubles or triples, up to 70k

2) power clean, pause below knee for 2s

3) power clean, split jerk x 2

I'm in the back relearning how to hang power clean.
Photo courtesy of Flatirons CrossFit

Notes: I'm taking my training to the next level by joining the crew at Flatirons CrossFit. They have started a new weightlifting program. They have quality coaches and equipment. In addition, all the lifters want to compete.

I learned a new barbell complex to warm-up and did every move wrong. I was thinking too much. It is just moving weight. I'm relearning how to squat Oly-style. What these coaches care most about is a neutral back, my knees can drift in front of my toes. My hips are going to be sore tomorrow from the new movement groove.

The training is intuitive, no posted whiteboard workouts.The coaches watch you lift and work on your personal weaknesses. If you're weak put more weight on the bar. If your technique sucks, me, break down the elements. My back was literally shaking during some of the movements because of the new positions. There was still enough weight on the bar to get a dose. The coaches gave me many pointers, I hope I remember half of them.

I'm very excited about this great opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. How are you liking the coaches at Flatirons?

    And BTW, I noticed you have Greg Everett's book. Would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coaching at Flatirons is the best I have received. I work mostly with DM. He gives great technical advice and plenty of motivation. Personally, I appreciate a coach who also competes. There are several other top notch coaches. It is nice to have variety. The ratio of coaches to athletes is always low.

    I have the 1st edition. There is now a 2nd edition, which I can not speak to. Greg Everett's book is the best on the market, which isn't saying much. I was self coached for a long time so it was invaluable reference. The trouble shooting section was a little sparse, e.g. donkey kicking is not covered (one of my many technical faults.)

    ReplyDelete